The Department of Food Technology has earned a distinctive position, since its inception in the year 2003 at Techno India. It offers a four year course in Food Technology leading to a B.Techdegree awarded by the Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology(MAKAUT), approved by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and is the first of its kind in West Bengal. The course aims at grooming students to function in the key positions of food industry as well as emerge as successful entrepreneurs.
Department alsoconducts anindustry endorsed M.Techprogramstarted under the banner of TIFAC-CORE and awarded byMAKAUT. Curriculumwas developed through panel discussionsby eminent academic and industrial personnel’s to develop readymade manpower as per need of modern Food Processing Industries. PhDguidance is also provided by the faculties of the department.
1. To impart quality education through excellent Teaching Learning Process and infrastructural facilities for producing globally competent food technologists capable of extending technological services
2. To inculcate/imbibe qualities of lifelong learning, team spirit, leadership, entrepreneurship and communication skills with social responsibilities
3. To engage and promote cutting edge research practices through multi-institutional and industry institute collaborations
Department of Food Technology envisions to be a lead center of academic and research resource for creating competent professionals to ensure global food security and safety
1. Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineeringtools including prediction and modelling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineeringand management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
12. Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
1. Work as Food Analysts and quality control experts by applying food technology skills and the fostered professional ethics
2. Function effectively in multi-disciplinary team demonstrating leadership skills for solving technical and societal problems
3. Engage in R&D feasibility studies for innovative product development and its subsequent translation to scale up operation
4. Become established entrepreneurs and consultants in food processing sector utilizing their requisite technical know-how and fund management skills in a holistic manner.
1. Design basic equipment and tools relevant to Food Processing Industries 2. Formulate food technology solutions that have an impact in global, economic, environmental and societal context.
B.Tech : Techno Main Salt Lake provides B.Tech program in the department of Food Technology. Students enrolled in this course study scientific techniques and activities involved in food processing, fermentation, preservation, microbiology, analytical chemistry, home science and flavor & color index. Employment areas include Food Processing, Technical sales, Quality assurance, Product development and Production management.
B.Tech Lateral : Techno Main Salt Lake provides B.Tech lateral entry program in the department of Food Technology. This course enables aspirants with 3 years diploma in engineering or an equivalent degree to get admitted in 2nd year of B.Tech.
M.Tech : Techno Main Salt Lake provides M.Tech program in the department of Food Technology. A master’s degree in Engineering involves research studies in varied fields of specializations. Participation in International conferences and submission of research methodologies in premier journals are paid utmost importance at Techno Main.
B.Tech in Food Technology : 60
M.Tech in Food Technology : 18
The Food Technology Department (FTD) laboratories are well structured with instruments/equipments required for Food processing, Quality control, Food chemistry & microbiology testing, Unit operation and Modelling and simulation, Advanced Product development. The FTD also houses many high-end analytical instruments funded by TIFAC (Technology Information, Forecasting and Assessment Council) and Ministry of Food Processing, Govt. of India for developing a state-of –the art Quality Control Laboratory.
Various academic trainings, workshops, consultancy services are being provided for the academic students, the industry workforce and aspiring entrepreneurs, with the help of these infrastructural laboratory facilities of the department.
1. FOOD ANALYSIS AND QUALITY CONTROL
2. FOOD CHEMISTRY LAB
3. FOOD PROCESSING LAB
4. UNIT OPERATION LAB
5. MICROBIOLOGY LAB
6. ADVANCED PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT AND RESEARCH LAB
1. SPECTROPHOTOMETER FREEZE DRIER
2. NIR ANALYSER KJELDAHL UNIT
3. SOXLET APPARATUS CRUDE FIBRE ANALYZER
4. BAKING OVEN TRAY DRIER
5. SPRAY DRIER PLATE FREEZER
6. PACKED BED COLUMN
7. PARALLEL / COUNTER FLOW HEAT EXCHANGER
9. TEXTURE ANALYZER
10. DISTILLATION COLUMNS (SIEVE PLATE & PACKED BED)
11. PLATE AND FRAME FILTER PRESS
12. ADVANCED MICROSCOPE
13. COLONY COUNTER
15. HIGH PERFORMANCE LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY (HPLC)
16. GAS CHROMATOGRAPHY (GC)
17. ATOMIC ABSORPTION UNIT (AAS)
Department of Food Technology
EM-4/1, Sector-V, Salt Lake, Kolkata-700091, West Bengal
H.O.D: Prof. Soumitra Banerjee
Techno India provides virtual interactive learning facilities to its students; such repositories can be accessed anytime and anywhere that ensure that students get hassle free access to digital library, online journals and digital notes 24x7. The digital repositories comprise a vast collection of e-books, publications, notes as well as case-studies from renowned foreign authors and industry experts. As an academic institute of repute, Techno India strives towards making the learning experience promising for the aspirants so that the location or venue is never a barrier.
Helpline No: 9836544416 / 17 / 18 / 19
1. TECHNO INDIA CHINGRIGHATA CAMPUS - LB 10, EM Bypass, Sector 3,Chingrighata, Kolkata 700098, WB. (Beside Leather Technology College [Service Road])
2. TECHNO INDIA (2nd Floor)- EM-4/1, Sector-V, Salt Lake, Kolkata-700091, WB.
EM-4/1, Sector-V, Salt Lake, Kolkata-700091, WB Contact No: 033-23575683 / 84 / 86
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
BF 142, BF Block, Sector 1, Salt Lake City, Kolkata, West Bengal 700064.
Website : www.wbut.ac.in